Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Transfer done, 2 blasts now in my uterus!

My transfer yesterday went really well. The fantastic news is that both of the blasts made the thaw! Yipee! I was so nervous about having them thaw. Our transfer was scheduled for noon, so we had to be at the surgery center at 11:00am. We left home at 10:00am since it takes an hour to get there (my RE and the surgery center are not in my town). I called the office before we left just to see how the embryos were doing, and we got the call back right as we were leaving town. They told us both the embryos were alive and well! WooHoo! I started to relax just a bit, which made the car ride a little easier. We got to the surgery center right at 11:00am, got checked in, and waited in the waiting room until about 11:45. They took me back, had me undress from the bottom down, and after I was all hospital gowned up, they took me to the little room where Benjamin was waiting for me. The nurses took my blood pressure (which was fine), asked me lots of questions, and then we waited. We waited. We waited, and waited, and waited! Now, mind you we got to the surgery center at 11:00am, so neither Benjamin nor I had eaten lunch yet, and we were getting hungry! Finally, at 1:00pm they took me back for the transfer ~ both of us still hungry. How silly to be thinking of food at a time like that! Anyway, they moved me to the operating table, got me in the stirrups, and got ready to go. It wasn't too bad because they had some very nice classical music playing in the background that was very soothing. Benjamin was sitting next to me, holding my hand, and then the RE came and and said he was ready to get started! Yikes! It was about to happen. They got the speculum in (yeow!) and wiped the cervix with some antiseptic or something. And then (here is the really embarrassing part) the RE had to give me a trim down there! Oh, my! Guess I didn't have things as "neat" as I thought. Oh, well. Then the RE was ready to get the catheter in, which was not easy. I guess my cervix is angled toward the back, so he had to practically look underneath to see the markings on the catheter to make sure it was at the correct depth. After a few more adjustments, he said, "We're all ready." The embryologist gave him the syringe with the embryos, and he put them in! Wow! At that moment I was pregnant ~ the moment of conception! He sent the syringe back to the embryologist to make sure the embryos made it out of the syringe into my uterus. She gave a big, "All clear", and it was done. The RE took out the catheter, the speculum (aahhh, much better), and then told me to come back next Thursday for a pregnancy test! Oh wow!! A pg test!!!! They moved me back to the other bed, which was much more comfortable than the operating table, and wheeled me to recovery. They adjusted the bed so my head was below my feet and had me lay that way for an hour. It was 1:15pm when we got to recovery, and the nurse said we could go at 2:15pm. Benjamin and I were STARVING by this time, but we figured we would just run by a McDonald's on the way home. So, there we were, watching the clock creep by, Benjamin sitting on the chair next to me and me in the bed with my feet up in the air - oh so comfortable. I played my Nintendo DS a little (I always carry it in my purse, I guess I am a total geek!), but in my position, it wasn't really easy to play, so I put it away and just kinda laid there, did some praying to God that these little ones would stick, and closed my eyes. One of the nurses popped in and gave us both a pop and some graham crackers. Those tasted so good, and maybe would help tide us over until we left. By 2:00pm I was really ready to be done. Not only was my head feeling like it was going to explode because all my blood was going that way, but I also had to pee really badly! At 2:15pm, the nurse came in and moved my bed to the normal position. Whoa, that felt weird. All my blood went back to my feet, and I felt a little dizzy, but it didn't last long. The nurses helped me to my feet, and I got to go to the bathroom! Ahhh, relief! I got dressed, the nurses gave us a pop for the ride home, and we were off to Micky D's! Did I mention we were starving by then? The drive home was nice. I reclined my seat for the ride home, and we got home by 3:30pm. I just laid on the couch, and let my Mom pamper me, since Benjamin had to go over to the house and get everything out for the closing Friday. My Mom took care of William and even made me a special treat. You gotta love Mom!! Today, my dad has baby duty, and I am still on the couch. I was on bedrest yesterday and am supposed to be "taking it easy" for the next 2 days. Now, we just wait. This is going to be a long 9 days.

On a personal note, as for teaching, I was asked to substitute for my old school for the first couple weeks because a teacher's father is having surgery and she is going to be out of town. I called HR to get on the sub list, and the lady I talked to said I can't be on the sub list if I am on "parental leave". Oh great, that is not what the lady in charge of substitutes told me! I called her last week and she said I could sub, and I even had an appointment on the 27th to get on the list. Ah, you gotta love the school district! One person says yes, the other no. So, who knows if I will be able to sub or not. I'm waiting to hear from HR with an answer. I could resign and sub, but then if I go back next year or the next, I won't be guaranteed a position. If they do let me sub, I'll start Friday to get things ready as the kids start back Monday. So, now it is just wait to hear the news. I don't really care either way.

No comments: